5 Things to Expect from Your First Barre Class
So you’re thinking about trying a Barre class. Barre is a workout derivative of ballet barre. Using ballet barre techniques throughout your Barre class will provide you with incredible results. Barre is a cardio workout that is upbeat and high-energy. Convinced to give Barre class a try? Here are 5 things you can expect from your first Barre class at Everbalance:
1. A Core warm up– Each Barre class begins with a core warm up on the mat before heading to the barre. Expect to seriously work those core muscles!
2. A little weight lifting– Expect to use 2, 3, 5 and 6 pound weights for upper body and some core exercises. Barre workouts are always a full-body workout as well as focusing on specific muscle groups.
3. Expect to feel the burn– We like to call this the challenge zone! Once you start to get a burning sensation your Barre instructor will encourage you to stay in it as long as you can – all in good form of course! Feeling the burn is just one of the ways to maximize muscle exertion so eventually you will see results in muscle tone as well as burning a lot of calories.
4. An upbeat and high-energy workout– Barre class is choreographed to upbeat music which is motivating throughout your workout – a fun and entertaining way to get fit. Our instructors also use headsets to instruct class so you have the extra motivation and you will always be able to hear the instructions!
5. Soreness– After your first Barre class you will be sore! Expect it and prepare to counter it. Epsom salt baths are your best friend when tackling soreness. After a while it does go away slightly as you get stronger. We stretch all through out the class to help ease the tension and elongate the muscles.
What do I wear?
For your first Barre class you’ll want to wear comfortable athletic clothes that are not too baggy (especially top to avoid it riding up). Yoga pants and a tank top/fitted t-shirt will work great. Just keep in mind that your clothes should be easy to move around in and stretchy.
What do I need to bring to class?
For your first Barre class you will want to bring a yoga/pilates mat with you. Forgot your mat? The studio has plenty to borrow from. It is also suggested that you wear grippy socks for your safety. Don’t own a pair? The studio has them available for purchase. You may also want to bring a bottle of water. We sell bottled water in the lobby for $1 in case you forget as well as a water cooler to fill up your own cup!
What kind of Barre classes does Everbalance offer?
We offer a variety of Barre classes for all levels. If you’re a beginner to Barre try Barre Basics class. This class is perfect for beginners and is slower paced but still a challenging workout. You’ll learn the basics of Barre and work each muscle group through class. Feeling up for a challenge? Try Barre Cardio Fusion with Tetyana. This class offers a more cardio based workout and is choreographed to music perfect for someone looking to burn more calories. If you’re a yogi and you want to give Barre a go – try Yoga Barre Fusion. This class starts with power yoga flow for upper body and core, then continues with 20 min Barre choreography for lower body and ends with rewarding shavashana (mediation). Whether you are a complete beginner or very experienced in Barre, Everbalance has a class for you! Check out our class schedule here for more information.